A 15-year-old boy has been arrested in Western Germany on suspicion of planning a possible attack on a Christmas market, authorities said Wednesday.
The teenager was detained Tuesday during a search at his home, prosecutors in Duesseldorf said. A court in nearby Leverkusen ordered him kept in custody Wednesday on suspicion of planning and preparing a terror attack, they said in a statement. The prosecutors said they could not give additional details for now.
The top regional security official, North Rhine-Westphalia state Interior Minister Herbert Reul, said the suspect had written in a chat group about attack plans and after a discussion of various scenarios, participants “agreed on a concrete plan to attack a Christmas market.”
“It seemed very concrete,” Reul told reporters of the alleged plan, about which he said he could not provide further details.
The boy’s arrest came after German authorities received a tip from abroad about possible plans for an attack by a person in the region, according to Reul. The authorities quickly identified the suspect, who wasn’t previously known to local security authorities, he said.
There was a second arrest, in Brandenburg state in eastern Germany, the minister said he also could not give details about that.
Germany’s domestic intelligence agency said earlier Wednesday that the threat situation in the country has escalated since Hamas’ Oct. 7 attack in southern Israel.
The agency pointed to the risk of a radicalization of lone assailants who use simple means to attack “soft targets,” adding that “the danger is real and higher than it has been for a long time.”
For years, the the massive mostly-intact dinosaur skeleton that came to be known as Sue the T-rex was at the center of a legal battle. The latest dispute involves who inherits what’s left of the money created by the sale of Sue.
Fossil hunters discovered the skeleton in 1990 on property owned by Maurice and Darlene Williams that sits on the Cheyenne River Reservation in South Dakota. Because of the location on the reservation, the discovery led to years of court battles over ownership rights.
Eventually, the couple was able to claim the rights, and they made $7.6 million from the auction of Sue — now on display at Chicago’s Field Museum. The museum’s website says that at more than 40 feet long and 13 feet tall at the hip, Sue is the largest Tyrannosaurus rex specimen discovered and the most complete.
Maurice Williams died in 2011. Darlene Williams later moved to Sioux Falls, South Dakota, where she died in December 2020. The couple had four children and three of the siblings are involved in a court dispute over the estate, KELO-TV reported.
At the center of the dispute: Darlene Williams had two wills, according to records filed in Lincoln County, South Dakota. The first one, signed in 2017, included all of her children and grandchildren, and listed daughter Sandra Williams Luther as the person in charge of settling the estate and making sure the will was carried out.
But a second will dated Nov. 25, 2020 — less than three weeks before Darlene Williams died — designated Luther as the sole heir and executor. The document also cited Darlene Williams as saying that she had lived with her children at odds for too long, and she hoped that in her death they would find peace and become a family again.
Another daughter, Jacqueline Schwartz, questioned whether the second will was legal. She said her mother was critically ill and in hospice care when she signed the document without witnesses in the room due to COVID-19 restrictions.
Schwartz also contested the sale of her mother’s home in Spearfish, South Dakota, two weeks before her death. Court records show that $225,000 in proceeds went to Darlene Williams’ son, Carson Williams.
No trial date has been set.
A roundup of conversations we’re having daily on the site. Subscribe to the Reckon Daily for stories centering marginalized communities and speaking to the under-covered issues of the moment.
Over the past few seasons, these players made sure to hit the stat sheet on an almost daily basis.
Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav insisted “CNN is back” on Wednesday amid dreary viewership that paints a different picture.
“It’s not just that the ratings are up, it’s not just that primetime is up, it’s that what people want to know, from a trusted source what’s going on in the world. CNN is a back,” Zaslav, who runs CNN’s parent company, said at the annual New York Times DealBook Summit.
Despite Zaslav’s remarks, CNN has struggled in the ratings department. During the news-heavy month of October, CNN’s most-watched show was “Anderson Cooper 360,” which finished No. 27 among cable news programs – behind 14 Fox News programs and 12 MSNBC offerings.
In October, Fox News averaged 1.4 million total day viewers, compared to only 600,000 for CNN. When it comes to the advertiser-coveted demo of adults ages 25-54, FNC averaged 174,000 total day viewers while CNN managed 124,000.
During the primetime hours of 8-11 p.m., Fox News averaged 2.1 million viewers compared to only 722,000 for CNN. It doesn’t appear much better for CNN during November, as early data indicates it will be down across the board compared to last month.
Zaslav fired CNN CEO Chris Licht in June after a little more than a year on the job, as he failed to turn around the long-troubled news network as many staffers didn’t approve of his nonpartisan approach. DealBook Summit host Andrew Ross Sorkin pointed out that Licht was in the audience, but that didn’t stop Zaslav from fawning over his replacement.
“Mark Thompson is now the CEO of CNN, formerly the CEO of The New York Times. As we said, Chris Licht used to be the CEO, he’s here,” Sorkin said, but Zaslav chimed in before he could ask a question.
“Exceptional leader,” Zaslav said of Thompson. “Ground-up leader, great track record. He ran the BBC for eight years, he turned around the Times, and he got into CNN, which I think is the greatest journalistic organization in the world, and he’s there in the morning, he’s on the nine o’clock call, he’s in the control room, and he’s won the hearts and minds of the team.”
The comment could be seen as a jab at Licht, who was criticized internally for not being hands-on enough early in his tenure. However, Zaslav also complimented Licht on past success at “Morning Joe” and CBS, where he worked before his stint running CNN.
The following is a listing of all home transfers in the Perth Amboy area reported from Nov. 20 to Nov. 26. There were 4 transactions posted during this time. During this period, the median sale for the area was a 1,538-square-foot home on First Street in Perth Amboy that sold for $450,000.
The following is a listing of all home transfers in the Lakewood area reported from Nov. 20 to Nov. 26. There were 9 transactions posted during this time. During this period, the median sale for the area was a 982-square-foot home on Thornbury Court in Lakewood that sold for $190,000.